For many decades, Ballarat has been a leading regional centre for the hosting of sporting events, attracting thousands upon thousands of participants from across the country and the world.
Ballarat has a strong track record in delivering sporting events on a national, state and local scale. From major national sporting events including AFL, cricket, basketball and cycling, to local activities including athletics, squash and rowing, the city can host events of all sizes.
With its state-of-the-art sporting facilities, heritage locales and an abundance of accommodation options, the city provides an idyllic location for those who seek a sporting experience moulded by professionalism, service, pleasure and comfort.
WHY HOST YOUR SPORTS EVENTS IN BALLARAT?
Long defined as the heart of Australia’s goldfields, Ballarat provides a unique sporting experience for all visiting participants and spectators.
While history and heritage remain amongst the city’s strongest drawcards, there is no doubt Ballarat’s ability to host large-scale events year-round, combined with its ever-evolving visitor offerings, are among the reasons why more and more sports clubs and associations are opting to host their events in the city.
HOST YOUR NEXT SPORTS EVENT IN BALLARAT AND YOU’LL HAVE ACCESS TO:
- Modern, state of the art, multi-purpose sporting facilities across a number of major sports events. This includes Mars Stadium, Ballarat Sports Events Centre, Ballarat Aquatic & Lifestyle Centre, Ballarat Regional Soccer Facility and the iconic Lake Wendouree
- Boutique hotels and modern accommodation options offering both long-term and short-term stays
- Several of the city’s major attractions including Sovereign Hill, Kryal Castle and the Ballarat Wildlife Park to explore
- A thriving food and drink scene boasting premium fare, sourced from local farmers and producers, to experience within a bustling night scene
- A range of extra-curricular outdoor recreational activities for participants to enjoy including mountain biking, hiking, four-wheel driving and fishing
- Contemporary visitor offerings set against an iconic heritage backdrop
- A team of dedicated staff who will ensure the smooth running and execution of your event
HOW CAN WE HELP WITH YOUR SPORTS EVENT?
The City of Ballarat Recreation Services Unit takes great pride in combining local knowledge and practical experience to ensure event organisers receive the best advice when planning their event.
The Recreation Services Unit should be the first point of contact for all sports events. The team will provide end-to-end services for all prospective clients – ranging from initial planning meetings, tours, and transport information, through to assistance with venue booking and event execution.
To learn more, please visit the Active Ballarat website.
MAJOR EVENT GRANTS AND SPONSORSHIP FUNDING
Your event may qualify for funding through the City of Ballarat’s Tourism Events Grants Program and/or Strategic Partnership Grants Program. These programs are open to projects, festivals or events that encourage visitation, participation and yield, and contribute to the promotion of Ballarat as a tourism destination of choice.
Grant applications will be considered from not-for-profit and for-profit organisations. To learn more about these grant opportunities and the application criteria, please click here.
If you require any assistance or would simply like to learn more about how Ballarat can enhance your specific sports event, please contact the Recreation Services Unit at the City of Ballarat.
City of Ballarat
Sports Events Acquisition Officer
M: 0417 284 086